Submissions and Admissions
- Receipt of submissions will be acknowledged within ten working days.
- The Golden Egg Academy (GEA) aims to provide an assessment of all submissions within 30 working days unless there is a reply-by-date specified in the course information on the website.
- You may submit your Work a maximum of three times.
- You may only submit one extract at a time (unless you are applying for the Picture Book programme, in which case you may submit up to three manuscripts). If you wish to discuss other projects, you will be able to do so if accepted into GEA.
- In submitting your Work, you are agreeing to GEA’s First Look Deal with Chicken House (fiction) or Andersen Press (picture books) for an exclusive one-month period. Submission is at GEA’s discretion and is not guaranteed. You are not obliged to accept the terms offered to you by Chicken House or Andersen Press.
- In submitting your Work, you are agreeing to GEA’s First Look Deal with The Viney Shaw Agency (fiction) for an exclusive one-month period. Submission is at GEA’s discretion and is not guaranteed. You are not obliged to accept the terms offered by Viney Shaw.
- You are welcome to enter competitions, but where the prize is a contract with an agency other than The Viney Shaw Agency, please notify your editor as we may suggest that the manuscript should be sent to The Viney Shaw at the same time as entering such competitions, in line with our First Look Deal.
- In submitting your Work, you are agreeing to GEA’s First Look Deal with Peters, Fraser + Dunlop (PFD) (picture book) for an exclusive one-month period. Submission is at GEA’s discretion and is not guaranteed. You are not obliged to accept the terms offered by PFD.
- Admission to GEA is by invitation only.
- By accepting a place on a GEA course, you confirm that your Work is your own original material and that it contains nothing libellous, obscene or defamatory. In the event that your Work is found to plagiarise that of another writer, you hold GEA exempt from any charges of plagiarism and take sole responsibility for the protection of your Work.
- The decision on the most suitable editor to conduct your one2ones and reports will be made in house. Only in exceptional circumstances will GEA enter into discussions on this allocation.
- GEA cannot guarantee that your editor will stay with you throughout your course, but will do its best to ensure that, insofar that it is possible, continuity with your editor is maintained.
- If you receive an editorial report that you and the GEA directors regard as unclear, GEA will seek clarification from the editor and advise accordingly.
- Editorial reports will typically be completed within eight weeks. If your report is likely to be later than this, you will be notified by your editor.
Payment, Cancellation and Course Changes
- All deposits are non-refundable.
- We are happy to accept cancellations up to 12 weeks before your course commences and we will refund any payments made prior to the course minus the deposit. If you need to cancel less than 12 weeks before the course starts, we will do our best to find a replacement and, if we succeed, any payments made prior to the course will be returned less the deposit. If we are unable to find a replacement, we reserve the right to charge the full fee for the year and collect via the agreed payment plan.
- By paying the deposit and securing your place on a GEA course, you are committing to attend the course for its full duration, and are, as such, liable to pay the full course fees as outlined in the payment plan. If for any reason you decide to leave the course once it has commenced, you will still be liable for the full fees. In certain extreme circumstances, exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Golden Egg directors.
- GEA course fees are payable as stated on the GEA website. Your continued participation in GEA is dependent on your continued payment of your monthly installment if you have chosen to pay this way rather than upfront and in full. If you fail to meet a monthly payment, you will be given 30 days notice to bring your account up to date. Failure to do so will result in cancellation of your place on your GEA course. GEA uses a debt collection agency for recovery of all outstanding monies; interest on overdue payments is charged at 2% above prevailing Bank of England rates.
- We reserve the right to make changes to the advertised courses (including, but not limited to, venues, dates, workshop leaders and course content) for any reason at any time, but will endeavour to provide as much advance notice as possible.
- The workshop dates provided are not exchangeable. No refund or alternative will be available if you are unable to attend a workshop. However, workshop notes will be made available.
- If you miss an online session, you may catch up and contribute to the discussion thread later, however, no interaction with your comments is guaranteed.
- Rescheduling of one2ones is at the discretion of your editor.
- If you fail to submit requested work within the agreed time scale (e.g. for a one2one), your session may be cancelled and you will not receive a reschedule except in extenuating circumstances. No refunds will be given.
- Submission fees for the Picture Book programme are payable upfront and are non-returnable.
Our Promise to You
- The Golden Egg Academy embraces diversity. It does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status or sexual orientation in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
- In the event that we wish to forward your work to either Chicken House, in the first instance, or an agent or publisher on your behalf, we will never do so without seeking your permission first.
- GEA will make no false promises. We will conduct ourselves with integrity.
- Your work and any personal information discussed at one2ones will be treated in the strictest confidence. In extreme circumstances, where we have concerns about your mental health and that you might be a danger to yourself and/or those around you, we may share information with appropriate people. Your work may be discussed with other editors in order to decide the best route for you.
- We will never share your data or writing outside of GEA without your permission. All data (including, but not limited to, your name and email address) is securely held by the GEA in line with current General Data Protection Regulations. It will be treated confidentially and with the utmost care and respect. It will never be circulated or sold to third parties. It is for our sole use only.
- We will try to acknowledge your email within two working days during term time (term dates can be found in your course welcome pack). Please note that the Academy is closed for August and the two weeks around Christmas. Out of term time, please allow five working days for a response.
- We will always try to ensure that you get the best out of all our services but if you do have an issue, please inform GEA as soon as possible. For all courses please email email@example.com. You will receive an acknowledgement within ten working days.
- The copyright of your original work is automatically yours and remains yours at all times in keeping with prevailing copyright legislation.
- Copyright of all material you receive from GEA and its editors, including but not limited to website copy, reports, workshop materials, manuals, rests with GEA and its contributors. This material may not be reproduced by you in any media or shared with third parties.
- By accepting a place on a GEA course, you agree to treat the Work of fellow students and the materials and editorial notes and reports you receive from GEA as strictly confidential.
- Golden Egg Foundations is a separate business entity from the Golden Egg Academy. Acceptance on or completion of the Golden Egg Foundations course does not constitute an offer to continue with the Golden Egg Academy.
- It is your responsibility to carefully consider all editorial advice received whilst on a GEA course and it is your responsibility to decide whether you wish to make changes to your story. Your editor is not responsible for any lack of success with agents or publishers or any future edits or rewrites you decide to make.
- Acceptance on a GEA course does not guarantee publication. GEA cannot guarantee your future results and/or success. Results will be based on your individual capacity, expertise, level of determination and the ever-changing children’s book market. The testimonials and examples used are exceptional results and are not intended to represent or guarantee that anyone will achieve the same or similar results.
- GEA retains the right to rescind the membership of anyone whose behaviour is deemed inappropriate towards an editor, member of staff or other GEA writer, including but not exclusive to: trolling, abusive or threatening emails etc. Or it is felt that they have discriminated against an editor, member of staff or other GEA writer, for example, and including, but not exclusive to: race, sex, gender and age.
- Photographs taken during workshops or social events may be used for marketing purposes. If you do not wish to be photographed please let us know.
- These terms and conditions may be changed at any time by us. If we make any changes to these, we will notify all current GEA students, and those in the application process at that time, by email. You accept that you will have no claim for breach of contract or otherwise in respect of any such alteration.
- This Document and any dispute arising in relation to it shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of The United Kingdom and the parties hereto submit and agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the United Kingdom.
- The headings in this Document are for convenience only and shall not affect its interpretation.