The Golden Egg Alumni Plan
providing essential support after Graduation.
Want to join a growing list of successful Golden Egg authors? You’ve graduated from Mentoring (Mentoring Plan or ad hoc mentoring hours), have a manuscript ready for submission, and you’re still serious about a career in writing for children. What do you do next? Maybe you’re already submitting to agents/publishers, dealing with a rollercoaster of emotion. Are you lucky enough to be published but have another work-in-progress you want to discuss with an editor? The Alumni Plan could help.
You’re not afraid of hard work or commitment; after all, you’ve edited your manuscript to this point. But this stage can be tough. You’d still like to belong to Golden Egg but would like the support of an Alumni community who specifically get what you’re going through.
When the elation of finishing the final edits becomes a simmer, and the utter joy of getting the manuscript signed off by Imogen has cooled, your mind will drift to what happens next. Signing up for the Alumni Plan will help by offering:
- Exclusive membership to a private Facebook group dedicated to Alumni members and select industry experts. Using the power of the community, you will continue to build your knowledge and resilience for the publishing world
- Access to a Golden Egg industry editor. Get advice or reports for your next work-in-progress. This is increasingly important as more agents are unable to provide editorial support*
- 15% discount** on 1 x Golden Egg workshop per year with priority booking
- Access to Golden Egg socials with priority booking. You can continue to network with agents and publishers
- 15% discount** on your Big Honk ticket with priority booking
- Graduation from the Mentoring Plan: receive your bespoke Golden Egg badge and certificate at the Big Honk***
- Receive Mother Goose’s monthly update
- Opportunities to network with agents and publishers via our social media and events
At the core of the Alumni Plan is the power of its community. The list of how we can support each other will only grow as the community grows, but here are some suggestions:
- Join together to shout about your deals, new books, launches, cover reveals, blogs and events, etc. Help each other to create a buzz through school, library and bookshop visits in what is becoming an increasingly tough market
- Submission: swap tips on perfecting your pitch, finding and securing an agent, managing the submission process, and coping with rejections.
- Publishing deal: swap tips on understanding the contract, coping with the specialised editing and terminology used, timescales and pressures, membership to the Society of Authors
- Promoting your book: swap tips on organising school visits, how to present to different audiences, managing your marketing and budget
- Writing: swap tips on how to write that notoriously tough second book and maintain your creativity
- Reading list: share resources or further support.
- Book club: read and compare notes on key fiction books
- Write/share your blogs
New Golden Egg members from November 2016: You must have graduated from the Mentoring Plan which means your manuscript will have been signed off by Imogen Cooper or nominated Golden Egg industry editor.
NB Any members of Golden Egg joining prior to November 2016, who have successfully completed mentoring and have a manuscript signed off by Imogen Cooper may join. It doesn’t matter when this happened, even if you are submitting to agents, agented, or published we would love you to join. You are our Alumni. Please contact Kay on email@example.com for further information before you apply.
On rare occasions, pre-November 2016 members may have secured an agent or publishing deal prior to completing mentoring or being signed off by Imogen. We’d also love you to join. Please email Kay before you apply on firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
Golden Egg Alumni Plan: 12 monthly payments @£6.99
Golden Egg Graduation Badge in leatherette presentation box @£11.00 + P&P ***
* Editorial advice and reports are charged separately. See Terms and Conditions
** The Golden Egg Academy reserves the right to review the discount rates. See Terms and Conditions
***The badge is optional (but why hide your success?). P&P: If you want to wait until the Big Honk we will reserve your badge and you can collect it on the night to save paying P&P. If you’re too excited and can’t wait (understandable) pay P&P for delivery.