Term 2: The Spine and the Heart
- Use the Golden Egg BookMap© Lite to examine your novel (and a recently published children’s novel) in overview.
- Look at different strategies for structuring a story and consider the story beats within your own work in progress.
- Refine your story beats and story idea and receive feedback.
By the end of the course, writers will have:
- investigated the ‘child reader of today’, the books they read and the books publishers are buying for the children’s market
- explored the fundamentals of storytelling from a child’s point of view and examined their manuscript with this in mind, reworking their text where necessary
- strengthened their concept and mapped out their story in overview
- discussed and applied some strategies for tightening the structure to improve pace and drive
- considered how to make their story come alive for a child reader by dramatising scenes (showing rather than telling) and by taking an active, forward path through their narrative
This is a Golden Egg Foundations January 2018 intake workshop.